14.1030, All: Important Message from Larry Chong-Please Read

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 7 13:44:47 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1030. Mon Apr 7 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1030, All: Important Message from Larry Chong-Please Read

Editor for this issue: Richard John Harvey <richard at linguistlist.org>

Date:  7 Apr 2003 13:31:01 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org

Date:  7 Apr 2003 13:31:01 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org

Dear Fellow Linguists,

How are you doing these days?  This is Larry Chong, Chair of ASIA CALL
(The Asian Association of Computer Assisted Language Learning).  Last
year I was invited to write to you, to ask for your support during the
LINGUIST List Fund Drive. Thanks to your generous response, the
LINGUIST List was able to reach its goal and thereby continue to
provide its valuable services to the linguistics community. Thanks to
all who answered the call!

And now I would like to say a couple words as a conference
organizer. First of all, thanks to the LINGUIST List, we had a great
success on our ASIA CALL 2002 International Conference in Bangkok last
year. What about this year's?  Of course, as soon as we finished ASIA
CALL 2002, we happily planned to organize ASIA CALL 2003 linguists'
association.  Needless to say, we depend on the LINGUIST List as much
as possible. Why? To a small and humble regional linguists'
association, the LINGUIST List is the only way to get in touch with
colleagues around the world.  How wonderful the response was! We have
invited 5 keynote lecturers and got over 100 abstracts and potential
participants. We seemed to have another success this year, too; I was
a happy Chair for a few weeks. But then came the bad news. As those of
you who organize conferences know, sometimes it is necessary to
postpone or even cancel a planned event. Alas, due to circumstances
beyond our control, I find I must postpone my conference. And just as
I turned to LINGUIST when announcing my good news, I will turn to
LINGUIST announce this not-so-good news. Without the LINGUIST List, a
small but poor organization can't do anything else; our very existence
depends on the LINGUIST List's communication support. In fact, I'll
bet that 'LINGUIST List' is one of the first names that all of you, my
fellow conference organizers, think of when it comes time to spread
the news of your event.

But the LINGUIST List depends on our support, as well. The LINGUIST
List is my 'eye opener' every morning. But tomorrow what if we can't
open the site http://linguistlist.org? Nope! I would not like to
imagine that IN ANY CASE! Won't you add your name to the list of
donors and help ensure that LINGUIST List will continue to be there
for us?

Globally yours,

Larry Chong

		********************************
		***      Fund Drive 2003     ***
		********************************
		*** Target: $50000           ***
		*** Total So Far: $35550.02  ***
		*** Only $14449.98 to go!    ***
		********************************

The LINGUIST List 'Just $5' Request

Please make a donation to keep LINGUIST running - even $5 makes a
world of difference!

DONATE - Don't Hesitate: http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

Instructions on How To Donate: http://linguistlist.org/donation.html
(or see below)

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University
and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is
a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization.  Our Federal Tax number
is 38-6005986.  These donations can be offset against your federal and
sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only).  For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching scheme, such that they will
match any gift you make to a non-profit organization.  Normally this
entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us
a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer.
This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra
penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a
scheme.

HOW TO DONATE

You can make a contribution by selecting one of three convenient
payment methods: secure credit card form, check, or wire transfer.
You can also PLEDGE your support to LINGUIST and pay later, i.e.  send
in a check. Also, if you do not want to use a credit card, but wish to
pay in a currency other than US Dollars, you can donate via our
European bank account held in Switzerland.  See below for details:

SECURE CREDIT CARD FORM:
http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

CHECK:
Please make checks payable to 'The LINGUIST List Editorial Support
Fund'.  The address is:

The LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
612 Pray Harrold
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti
MI, 48197
U.S.A.

WIRE TRANSFER:
For details on how to transfer funds by wire, please contact LINGUIST
at the address donate at linguistlist.org. Both an American and a
European bank account are available.

PLEDGE NOW, PAY LATER:
If you would like to make a pledge of support, please go to:

http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

ALREADY PLEDGED:
If you have already pledged to LINGUIST and would now like to pay by
credit card, please go to:

http://linguistlist.org/creditcard-general.html

and select 'PAY PREVIOUS PLEDGE' as the Type of Payment from the
dropdown list provided.