14.2257, Sum: Estuary English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 27 14:14:24 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2257. Wed Aug 27 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2257, Sum: Estuary English

Date:  Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:34:50 +0000
From:  Joanna  Ryfa <j.mercury at interia.pl>
Subject:  Sum: Estuary English

Date:  Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:34:50 +0000
From:  Joanna  Ryfa <j.mercury at interia.pl>

Last month I posted a query concerning Estuary English (Linguist
14.1994). I was looking for recordings and materials on new research.

The following people responded and I am extremely grateful for their
help.

Prof.  Peter Trudgill referred me to Joanna Przedlackas
book ''Estuary English? A sociophonetic study of teenage speech in the
Home Counties''. Lang, 2002, and his article Received Pronunciation:
Sociolinguistic Aspects, Studia Anglica Posnaniensia 36, 2001, now
available in Sociolinguistic Variation and Change (I had been familiar
with both, but thank you anyway, Professor Trudgill)

Asif Agha, Associate Professor, University of Pennsylvania, sent me a
recent paper on Received Pronunciation (with some discussion of
Estuary English): Agha, Asif. 2003. The social life of cultural
value. Language and Communication, 23: 231-273.

Dr Hermine Penz, M.S., Karl-Franzens-Universitat Graz, sent me a
valuable recording

Dr Anthea Fraser Gupta, School of English, University of Leeds, helped
me understand some aspects of language change in English and made a
few suggestions connected with EE that I am willing to consider (thank
you for all your e-mails)

Dr David Britain, Senior Lecturer in Linguistics, Director of Graduate
Admissions, Department of Language and Linguistics, Essex University,
allowed me to download the following articles:

Surviving 'Estuary English': innovation diffusion, koineisation and
local dialect differentiation in the English Fenland. Essex Research
Reports in Linguistics 41: 74-103:
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~dbritain/4.pdf

Phoenix from the ashes?: The death, contact and birth of dialects in
England. Essex Research Reports in Linguistics 41: 42-73:
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~dbritain/5.pdf

Dr David Deterding, National Institute of Education, Nanyang
Technological University, Singapore, gave me access and permission to
use the NIECSSE recordings

http://www.arts.nie.edu.sg/ell/davidd/niecsse/index.htm
More information on the corpus is available at:
http://www.arts.nie.edu.sg/ell/davidd/niecsse/saal-quarterly.htm

Penny Ann McKeon, LL.B, doing an MA ('Diversity or Convergence? A
study of speech features in a Sussex village') in Applied Linguistics
at Sussex University, sent me her bibliography with references to
brand new materials.  Penny, good luck with your research and
dissertation! We'll keep in touch.

Mr Richard Ingham (academic title unknown to me) described some
language changes and processes he has been observing in Essex and sent
me a summary of an interesting research in Basildon done by Ms Susan
Fox.  Thank you for your readiness to help me distribute the
questionnaires.

I would also like to express my gratitude to:

Dr Joanna Przedlacka of UW (especially for patience, all the e-mails
and explanations), Dr Keith Battarbee, University of Turku, Finland
Prof.  Paul Coggle, School of European Culture and Languages,
Carnwallis North West, University of Kent at Canterbury Dr Pia
Köhlmyr, Gothenburg University Prof. Paul Kerswill, School of
Linguistics & Applied Language Studies, University of Reading (special
thanks for the materials on dialect levelling and Milton Keynes)

The people mentioned above responded to my earlier letters connected
with EE.  Thank you all.

Joanna Ryfa

P.S. If anybody knows Ms Susan Fox, please tell her I would like to
contact her. Her e-mail address suefox at sfoxhome.freeserve.co.uk is no
longer valid, at least my computer rejects it.