14.60, Qs: 'Primitive Tongue', Software for ESL

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 9 06:33:33 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-60. Thu Jan 9 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.60, Qs: 'Primitive Tongue', Software for ESL

Editor for this issue: Renee Galvis <renee at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:20:02 -0500
From:  "E. O. Batchelder" <ebatchelder at nyc.rr.com>
Subject:  Media: Khant - "Primitive Tongue"

2)
Date:  Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:31:32 -0000
From:  "Alexander St.John" <guitar7ch at freesurf.ch>
Subject:  ESL Software

Date:  Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:20:02 -0500
From:  "E. O. Batchelder" <ebatchelder at nyc.rr.com>

In the New York Times Book Review for December 15, 2002, in a review
of _The Shaman's Coat: A Native History of Siberia_ by Anna Reid, the
reviewer Benson Bobrick states:

Forty years ago, it was still possible to find whole communities of
the Khant, a west Siberian people, where their language was spoken.
Today, only the elderly keep it alive.  Though a somewhat primitive
tongue (in that it lacks a capacity for abstraction), it is evocative
and vivid, with a poetic particularity all its own.  A photograph, for
example, becomes by analogy "a pool of still water"; a hat, "a
wide-crowned tree that keeps off the rain."

Can someone on this list affirm or refute this assessment?

Eleanor Olds Batchelder