14.1835, Jobs: Lexicography: Rank Open, Butler Hill Group

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 2 05:51:07 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1835. Wed Jul 2 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1835, Jobs: Lexicography: Rank Open, Butler Hill Group

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:57:16 +0000
From:  mco at butlerhill.com
Subject:  Lexicography: Rank Open, Butler Hill Group, WA, USA

Date:  Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:57:16 +0000
From:  mco at butlerhill.com

University or Organization: Butler Hill Group
Rank of Job: Rank Open
Specialty Areas: Lexicography
Required Language(s): Norwegian, Bokmaal (Code = NRR)

We are seeking a linguist or lexicographer, with native abilities in
Bokmaal Norwegian, strong computer skills, fluency in written English,
and a detail-oriented personality, to work on an evaluation of a
lexicon in Bokmaal Norwegian. We estimate the work at approximately
40-60 hours. We have a detailed template of evaluation tasks
(e.g. generate a test set of 25 foreign words commonly used in
Norwegian, and check them against the lexicon to see if they are
present; if not, determine if omissions are 'one-off' errors or
constitute a pattern). There are approximately 25 such tasks,
including coverage of such areas as specialized technical vocabulary,
neologisms, potentially offensive words, compounds, inflected forms,
etc. The results are to be written up into a report in English. In
addition, we'll require a summary of the work in a few different
formats.

Compensation is at a professional level.

The format of the lexicon is an Access database. The ideal candidate
will have some experience with Access, but we do provide a little
guide that tells you what you need to know, if you are willing to
spend a little time learning to write queries. The work must be done
on a Windows PC with Access 97 or above, Excel, Word, and internet
access.

For more information, please send along a current resume, including a
phone number, to mco at butlerhill.com. Because this project will start
immediately, we prefer to handle general inquiries by phone.

US applicants must have current work visa.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Mo Corston-Oliver
	email only, please
	Seattle, WA 98103
	United States of America

	Applications are due by 09-Jul-2003

Contact Information:
	Mo Corston-Oliver
	Email: mco at butlerhill.com
	Tel: 425-722-2496
	Website: http://www.butlerhill.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!