14.1715, Software: New release of SignStream and ASL data

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 17 18:54:03 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1715. Tue Jun 17 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1715, Software: New release of SignStream and ASL data

Editor for this issue: Tomoko Okuno <tomoko at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:21:35 -0400
From:  Carol Neidle <carol at louis-xiv.bu.edu>
Subject:  New release of SignStream and ASL data

Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:21:35 -0400
From:  Carol Neidle <carol at louis-xiv.bu.edu>

New release of SignStream and ASL data
http://www.bu.edu/asllrp/SignStream/

NEW release of SignStream software (version 2.2) for Mac OS

NEW release of ASL data collected from native signers in the National
Center for Sign Language and Gesture Resources
http://www.bu.edu/asllrp/cslgr/ at Boston University.  Included are
multiple synchronized high-quality video files (available in a variety
of formats) showing the signing from different angles as well as a
close-up view of the face.

NEW Java Applet for viewing SignStream annotations of our data from
other platforms.

COMING SOON: new, improved interface for our data repository, allowing
access to our continually expanding corpus of annotated ASL data.

COMING by the end of this year: Beta release of SignStream version 3,
a Java reimplementation with many new features, compatible with other
platforms.

Registered users - are urged to download the new version!
This includes several bug fixes and will ensure compatibility of the
data formats with the next version of SignStream now under
development.

Prospective users - are invited to try the program.
http://www.bu.edu/asllrp/SignStream/downloads.html

The software and data are also available on CD-ROM:
http://www.bu.edu/asllrp/cd/

SignStream is a database program for MacOS that facilitates the
annotation and analysis of visual language data.  It has been designed
for study of signed languages and the gestural component of spoken
languages, but may be of use for analysis of any video-based data.
The current version only handles digital video data that makes use of
keyframes (e.g., Sorenson, QuickTime); it does not work with MPEG.
The version now under development (3.0), expected to be released
within a year, will not have this limitation. It is being implemented
in Java and will be compatible with other platforms, as well.

Further information about the program, current development efforts,
and materials available for distribution, can be found at our Web
site.  This work has been supported in part by grants from the
National Science Foundation (SBR-9410562, IIS-9528985, IIS-9912573,
and EIA-9809340).

Carol Neidle
Professor of French and Linguistics
Boston University
Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
718 Commonwealth Ave. (room 402)
Boston, MA  02215

Phone and fax: 617-353-6218
E-mail: carol at bu.edu