14.1466, FYI: Lang Acquisition, Cognitive Ling

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 22 01:53:52 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1466. Wed May 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1466, FYI: Lang Acquisition, Cognitive Ling

Editor for this issue: Renee Galvis <renee at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 08:04:16 +0000
From:  Curt Rice <curt.rice at hum.uit.no>
Subject:  Acquisition course in Tromsø, Oct 20-24

2)
Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 00:12:00 -0500
From:  Suzanne Kemmer <kemmer at rice.edu>
Subject:  New editor of Cognitive Linguistics

Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 08:04:16 +0000
From:  Curt Rice <curt.rice at hum.uit.no>

The Faculty of Humanities at the University of Tromsø will host a
week-long graduate course on language acquisition during the week of
October 20-24, 2003. Students and colleagues from other universities
are welcome -- yea, encouraged -- to participate.

There will be two sub-courses, each having 10 hours of teaching over
the first four days of the course. One sub-course addresses the (first
language) acquisition of phonology while the other addresses the
(second language) acquisition of syntax. The teachers for the courses
are Clara Levelt (Leiden), Paula Fikkert (Nijmegen) and Manfred
Pienemann (Paderborn). On Friday, we will host a Workshop on Language
Acquisition, which is intended primarily as an opportunity for
participants in the course to present their projects.

The course will be financed by Nasjonalforskerutdanningskurs -
Humaniora (NFU-H) and the Center for Advanced Study in Theoretical
Linguistics (CASTL). Unfortunately, we are not able to subsidize
participants, with the exception of inviting you to be the organizers'
guest at a banquet on Friday evening.

Additional information can be found by following the ''activities
link'' on CASTLs homepage: http://castl.uit.no or directly at:
http://ws.uit.no/websim2/index.php?SiteId=50&PageId=2619&RecordId=3

(While you're there, you might like to have a look at the program of
our upcoming Workshop on Morphology:
http://ws.uit.no/websim2/index.php?SiteId=50&PageId=2619&RecordId=2 )

For the organizers,
Curt Rice