14.3115, Jobs: General Ling: Post Doc, U of Chicago, IL, USA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 14 16:03:56 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3115. Fri Nov 14 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3115, Jobs: General Ling: Post Doc, U of Chicago, IL, USA

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Tomoko Okuno <tomoko at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:27:54 -0500 (EST)
From:  j-sadock at uchicago.edu
Subject:  General Linguistics: Post Doc, U of Chicago, IL, USA

Date:  Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:27:54 -0500 (EST)
From:  j-sadock at uchicago.edu

University or Organization: University of Chicago
Department: Linguistics
Rank of Job: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Chicago invites
applications for a postdoctoral fellowship funded through a grant to
the University from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.  The fellowship
is for a period of two academic years, beginning Autumn quarter, 2004.
We seek candidates who approach problems of linguistic variation from
a diachronic or synchronic viewpoint in any subfield of linguistics.
Preference will be given to candidates whose research interests speak
to other areas of the humanities and humanistic social sciences as
well, such as language departments, philosophy, anthropology, and
sociology.  The successful candidate will be expected to be able to
teach at least one of the following courses: 1) Languages of the
World; 2) Linguistic and Social Diversity in America; 3) Language in
the Age of Globalization.  Mellon postdoctoral fellows are expected to
participate fully in Chicago's interdisciplinary research environment,
teach halftime in the undergraduate and graduate curriculum, and
present one departmental colloquium per year.  All requirements for
the Ph.D. must be completed prior to the start of the fellowship
period.

Applications should arrive by January 15, 2004. Please send a CV,
statements of research and teaching interests, representative written
work, and evidence of excellence in teaching, and the names of three
references whom the applicant has asked to send a letter of
reference. Candidates should arrange to have the letters of reference
sent directly to the search committee. The University of Chicago is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.

Send all materials to:

	 Mellon Search Committee
	 Department of Linguistics
	 University of Chicago
	 1010 E. 59th St.
	 Chicago, IL 60637
	 USA

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Mellon Search Committee
	Department of Linguistics, University of Chicago
	1010 E. 59th St.
	Chicago, IL 60637
	United States of America

Applications are due by 15-Jan-2004

	Contact Information:
	Professor Salikoko Mufwene.
	Email: s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
	Tel: 773-702-8531
	Fax: 773-834-0924
	Website: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/depts/linguistics/

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!