14.2726, Qs: Incorporated/Free Nouns; Sensory Adjectives

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 10 16:45:07 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2726. Fri Oct 10 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2726, Qs: Incorporated/Free Nouns; Sensory Adjectives

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:42:43 +0000
From:  Florian Zellmayer <zellmayer at chello.at>
Subject:  Coordination of incorporated and free nouns

2)
Date:  Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:44:38 +0000
From:  Mark Seidenberg <marks at lcnl.wisc.edu>
Subject:  adjective markeness

Date:  Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:42:43 +0000
From:  Florian Zellmayer <zellmayer at chello.at>

Dear everyone,

does anyone of you know of language which allows incorporated nouns to
be coordinated with morphologically free nouns? To put it differently:
Does anyone know a language that has coordinate noun structures where
one of the two nouns incorporated into the verb, whereas the other
remains morphologically independent. An example could look like the
following:

/he-water-brought  and  bread/
''He brought water and bread.''

/I-ear-hurt  my-nose/
''My ear and my nose hurt.''

/door  it-window-broke/
''Both the door and the window broke.''

This is a question that has, to my knowledge, never been researched in
any language with noun incorporation. Structures of this kind are
problematic for many theories of incorporation proposed to date:

(1) It cannot be accounted for by head movement, since movement out of
coordinate structures is excluded.

* Who did you meet [t and Bill]?

(2) It als cannot be accounted for by lexical compounding. In valency
reducing patient incorporation, for instance, the resulting NV complex
verb is monovalent and should not allow a free object. In classifying
incorporation, the classifier incorporate is semantically compatible
with only one part of the conjunct:

/I-them-water-brought  'pro'  and  bread/

Here incorporate /water/ classifies pro but is incompatible with /bread/.

(3) An ellipsis analysis is unlikely, because the two conjuncts would
be structurally inequal under any analysis.

/[I-water-bought]  and  [(I-it-bought)  bread]/

(4) Pragmatic approaches also fail: If two nouns form a conjunct, they
can be expected to have equal information structural status. And if
incorporation relates to pragmatics, incorporated and free nouns
should have different information status. A contradiction results.

Thanks in advance for your help.