14.2832, Sum: Irish English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 17 20:32:06 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2832. Fri Oct 17 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2832, Sum:

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:52:12 +0000
From:  Emma Moore <emma.moore at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  Dublin English

Date:  Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:52:12 +0000
From:  Emma Moore <emma.moore at man.ac.uk>

Many thanks to those who recommended resources on Irish English. Glenn
Alessi, David Denison and Kevin Watson directed me to Raymond Hickey's
website at:

http://www.uni-essen.de/~lan300/atlas/IERC.htm

and Paul Foulkes reminded me of Hickey's chapter in Foulkes and
Docherty's (1999) _Urban Voices_.

Guillaume Desagulier kindly sent me a list of resources used in his
own dissertation (the dissertation is available at the RTE library in
Dublin). These are given below.

- Bertz, Siegfried, 1975 :Der Dubliner Stadtdialekt. Doctoral
Dissertation, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitat, Freiburg.

-Barry, M.V. 1981. The southern boundaries of Northern Hiberno-English
speech. In Aspect of English dialect in Ireland, pp.52-93. Belfast :
Queen's University of Belfast.

-Byrne, Alison. 1996. An investigation of some extrinsic and intrinsic
constraints exerting pressure on phonological variation in
Hiberno-English. Unpublished B.Sc. project, TCD.

-Clarke, Sandra. 1986. Sociolinguistic patterning in a New World
Dialect of Hiberno-English. In John Harris and al., eds., Perspectives
on the English Language in Ireland, pp. 67-81. Dublin : CLCS, Trinity
College Dublin.

-O' Baoill, Donall P. 1990. Language contact in Ireland : The Irish
phonological substratum in Irish-English. In Gerold A. Edmondson et
al., eds., Development and Diversity : Language Variation across Time
and Space, pp. 147-172. Dallas : Summer Institute of Linguistics &
University of Texas at Arlington.

-Pardy, Anne. 1987. To examine the distribution of the sociolinguistic
variable (t) across different contexts. Unpublished ms., TCD.

-Wells, J.C. 1982. Accents of English, vol. 1. Cambridge : CUP.