15.2359, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 23 18:18:27 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2359. Mon Aug 23 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2359, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:  mikkelse at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:  Re: "Disc: Open-access Journals and Lingustics Publishing"

2)
Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:41:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Eric Bakovic <bakovic at ling.ucsd.edu>

3)
Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:35:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:  Karen Ward <kward at cs.utep.edu>
Subject:  Re: 15.2354, Disc: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:  mikkelse at socrates.Berkeley.EDU

Re: Linguist 15.2354

Thanks to Martin Haspelmath for opening the discussion of open-access
journals in linguistics and the future of linguistics publishing. I
strongly agree that this is an increasingly important topic and one
that should be discussed as widely as possible in the linguistics
community.

Martin Haspelmath asks:

> QUESTION: What would we lose if we gradually abandoned the traditional
> copyrighted journals in favor of (rigorously peer-reviewed)
> open-access journals?

One question that needs to be investigated (in order to answer the one
above) is how employers, such as universities and other research
institutions, evaluate publications in open-access journals with respect
to promotion and tenure. This is especially important I think for junior
researchers (such as myself), who might steer away from trying to publish
in non-traditional journals, even if agreeing with all the principles
behind it, out of fear that a publication in an open-source journal,
however rigorously peer-reviewed, would simply not carry the same weight
in a promotion or tenure review as a publication in a traditional journal.
I wonder if there is any evidence, possibly from other fields, supporting
or speaking against this worry?

Another potential worry is long-term access and maintainence. As
expressed in the mission statement of the open-access journal
"Philosophers' Imprint" (http://www.philosophersimprint.org/), the
goal of open-access publishing is to "to combine the permanence and
authority of print with the instant and universal accessibility of the
Internet." That journal has solved the permanence issue by
collaborating with the university library at The University of
Michigan, which is the de facto publisher:

	   Each paper is given a fixed, typeset appearance and a
	   stable Universal Resource Locator (URL), to allow for
	   reliable citations. The University of Michigan Digital
	   Library has committed funds to produce the Imprint, to
	   provide it with indexes and a full-text search engine, and
	   to ensure the permanent accessibility of its archives.
			["About" at http://www.philosophersimprint.org/]

In a world where open-access, on-line journal publishing has replaced
traditional journals (fully or to a significant extent) it seems that the
library funds required to publish an open-access journal mentioned in the
quote would be far less than the ever-rising costs of library
subscriptions to traditional journals. But can we expect libraries to take
on these extra costs right now? I don't have a good sense of library
budgets and I don't know whether the costs associated with open-access
publishing (as outlined in the quote) is peanuts for a reasonably-sized
(university) library or whether it might provide a real barrier for such
collaborations.

Line Mikkelsen
Dept. of Linguistics
University of California, Berkeley