15.2373, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 24 18:49:42 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2373. Tue Aug 24 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2373, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:04:56 +0200
From:  "Carsten Otto" <Carsten.Otto at ltu-touristik.com>
Subject:  Re: 15.2354, Disc: New: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

2)
Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:23:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:  John Kingston <jkingston at linguist.umass.edu>
Subject:  Discussion of electronic publishing

3)
Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:38:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Alexander Kravchenko <sashakr at isea.ru>
Subject:  Open-Access Journals and Linguistics Publishing

Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:04:56 +0200
From:  "Carsten Otto" <Carsten.Otto at ltu-touristik.com>

Re: Linguist 15.2354, Linguist 15.2359

I totally agree that this is an issue to be discussed widely and I'd
like to go through your points step by step:

P1: I partially agree. The printed journals will not totally disappear
as "paper" will be considered more reliable than online publications at
least for our (30+) and older generations. So it will probaly have
disappeared but it'll take about a generation or two. (consider this:
you still get almost all music on vinyl records, you still have
bookstores AND online-stores such as amazon, etc.)

P2: I guess I disagree. Probably people won't go to libraries to get a
copy of a single article but these will be accessed online, i.e. not the
online versions but the full-text will be searched via JASON (journal
articles sent on demand), or similar library-services.
Anyway as long as there are no online-versions of influential journals
the paper-versions will keep their influence.

P3: I can easily agree. There will be more and more free accessible
online journals though I don't know about their acceptance (see above
P1).

P4: I disagree: there will be probabably more and more free journals
but I don't know about their influence. There will be however - and I am
pretty sure about that - journals that offer online subscriptions and
thus access to their full text versions via the web. Just as the music
industry tries to fight file-sharing with stores such as Apple's popular
iTunes Music Store or others the "big-science-publishers" will offer
web-journals on the same basis.

C1: For sure, maximising access to online journals is indeed in the
interest of science and the scientific community (not to mention
students all over the world and scholars in areas with
not-so-well-equipped libraries) but it is only in the interest of the
"big-science-publishers" if the online-publications aren't a finacial
loss.

C2: definitely right.

Guess that's it. But there's one more thing: there's a proverb
here in the area of Cologne: wat nix kos' is' och nix. - roughly
translated: If something is free it is not reliable.  We should keep
that in mind when thinking about free online journals:

Cheers and all the best

Carsten Otto