15.2394, Qs: Gerund Use Differences; English Sentence Errors

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 26 19:08:07 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2394. Thu Aug 26 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2394, Qs: Gerund Use Differences; English Sentence Errors

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:15:17 +0600
From:  Yuri Tambovtsev <yutamb at hotmail.com>
Subject:  American and British female and male prose

2)
Date:  Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:54:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Noriko Nakanishi <nori3san at mail.goo.ne.jp>
Subject:  Understandability of errors

Date:  Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:15:17 +0600
From:  Yuri Tambovtsev <yutamb at hotmail.com>

Dear LinguistList colleagues, we (Juliana, Ludmila, Alina and I) study
the differences in the use of the ing-forms (Gerund, Participle 1
and Verbal Noun) in the texts of the male and female writers. We
also try to find out if there is any difference in the texts of the
American and British writers in this respect. The differences are
studied with the help of "chi-square" criterion. Could you advise
some other powerful statistical criterion as well? It is also
interesting if there is any time difference. I mean writers of the
18th, 19th, or 20th centuries. I could never find any publications
in the respect of the use of Gerund and other ing-forms. May be, you
could advice me any?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon to yutamb at hotmail.com

Yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev