15.3480, Sum: Film Titles in English Containing Puns

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 13 19:25:13 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3480. Mon Dec 13 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3480, Sum: Film Titles in English Containing Puns

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Dec-2004
From: Fco. Javier Díaz Pérez < fjdiaz at ujaen.es >
Subject: Film Titles in English Containing Puns

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:23:06
From: Fco. Javier Díaz Pérez < fjdiaz at ujaen.es >

Regarding query http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-3237.html#2

I recently posted a query about original film titles in English which
contained a pun in order to analyze how they were translated into Spanish.

First of all, I would like to thank all those who responded:

John Reighard
Jila Ghomeshi
Ghil`ad Zuckermann
Salvador Valera Hernández
Thorsten Schröter
Eugenia Romanota
Matt Stevens
Israel ''izzy'' Cohen
Kim Schulte
Sandy Steever
Deborah Milam Berkley

The titles I received were the following:

Antz
Austin Powers: Goldmember
Austin Powers: The Spy who shagged me
Bend it like Beckham
Deep Blue Sea
Devil's Advocate
Enduring love
Eyes Wide Shut
Face/Off
Fever Pitch
Funny Bones
Good Will Hunting
High Fidelity
Hollow Man
Holy Smoke
In the name of the Father
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Private parts
Saving Grace
Space Jam
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Naked Gun
too or to, e.g. Jungle2Jungle or Look who's talking too
Trading places
Weapons of Mass Distraction
You only live twice

In my query I also asked about three titles I was not sure about, namely
'The Crying Game'' (Neil Jordan, 1994), ''The in-laws'' (Andrew Fleming,
2003), and ''The shipping news'' (Lasse Hallström, 2001). Although nobody
seemed to consider there was any pun in any of those titles at first, after
explaining the plots, several of those who answered my query agreed that
there could be a pun in "The In-laws" and in "The Crying Game", but not in
"The shipping news".

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics
                     Translation