15.3481, Qs: Dictaphone for Fieldwork; Zimbabwe/Zambia Linguist

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 13 21:08:16 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3481. Mon Dec 13 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3481, Qs: Dictaphone for Fieldwork; Zimbabwe/Zambia Linguist

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Dec-2004
From: Shubhangi Kardile < astrolinguistics at yahoo.co.in >
Subject: Use of dictaphones for linguistic fieldwork

2)
Date: 13-Dec-2004
From: Ann Evans < Evans.Ann at dorsey.com >
Subject: Linguists in Zimbabwe and Zambia

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:04:27
From: Shubhangi Kardile < astrolinguistics at yahoo.co.in >

Hello everybody,

I am a Ph.D. student at Deccan College PG & Research Institute. I would
like to know if dictaphones, which are generally used by doctors and
lawyers, are useful for linguistic fieldwork? I will be thankfull if I get
any feedback on this. I have just read the summary posted on use of iPods
in linguistic fieldwork and came to know that they are not useful and
preferred. Since dictaphones are also compatible to computers I am
intterested to know about the issue. I'll post the summary of responses
which I'll get.

Thnak you in advance.

Shubangi Kardile
Deapartment of Linguistics
Deccan College PG & Research Institute
Pune India
astrolinguistics at yahoo.co.in

Linguistic Field(s): Language Description