15.1701, Sum: Citation Software; Language System Omissions

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 2 19:05:19 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1701. Wed Jun 2 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1701, Sum: Citation Software; Language System Omissions

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:51:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "D. Will Reiman" <dwr4321 at exchange.uta.edu>
Subject:  Responses to query 15.1450 : Citation Software

2)
Date:  Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:28:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Fritz Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  Summary: Things that no languages do

Date:  Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:51:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "D. Will Reiman" <dwr4321 at exchange.uta.edu>

I received 6 responses to my question (Linguist 15.1450), half of
which were from EndNote users or former users.  Also mentioned were
Bibliographix, BibDB, and LaTeX/BibTeX.  Some details from the
correspondants:

EndNote:

Tucker: Has used EndNote for 20 some years.  He sees little reason to
upgrade past v5.0 (current version available: 7.0). All his colleagues
and most grad students use it, he thinks due to a site license.  He
seems satisfied, but never looked into anything else. Student Price
for v7: $109.95

Kimberly: v6 has some bugs, but the patches provided fixed them, and
should not exist in v7. She says she is happy with it. Pro: manages
citations, organizes separate libraries, plugs in citations while
writing papers, downloads citations. Con: the download feature
struggles with Portland SU's proxy server.

Paul: once used v4 for Mac, but was frustrated by its inability to
preserve font info, such as suprasegmentals.

LaTeX/BibTeX:

Christopher: ''It is wonderful, flexible, and does everything I
need.''

BibDB:

Martin: The interface is 'old fashioned', he says, but stable.  It
outputs BibTex files in the background, which can be accessed with
LaTeX/BibTeX. Says he is 'very pleased' with the app.

Bibliographix:

Stephanie: Pro: basically the same features as Reference Manager or
Endnote, without the price tag; cite-while-you-write; capacity to
write and easily switch citation styles; 13 publication types
built-in, plus the capacity to create 3 more of your own. Immediate,
uncomplicated service/support, plus a comprehensible handbook. She
joined with five other students to buy 6 copies for 60 Euro
each. Available in German & English. Designed for compatibility with
MS Word, MS Office, and LaTeX apps. Con: None mentioned. States she
has not been using long.  D. Will: This is the program I currently
use. Additional positives are a useful Basic version anyone can
download for free.  The basic version has some limitations in
reference downloading, as well as printing of references, but it's
ability as a database is unhindered.  Also, it claims to be more than
just a reference management tool, it can be used from first ideas to
the finished paper to organize the writing process.  Its idea outliner
module has some drawbacks, but is a good asset, and could potentially
become a very good asset.  I have not yet tried the Pro version, but
the developers say the database format is exactly the same, so one's
work should be totally portable between the two versions.

This is the extent of the information I received from my query, but I
am continuing to research the topic.  If anyone would be interested in
a more thorough treatment of the topic, let me know.  I hope to have
something more substantial ready by mid-Fall.

Thanks to all who sent information: Tucker Childs of Portland SU;
Stefanie Zilles, U of Bonn; Martin Volk; Kimberly R. Levell, Portland
SU; Christopher Brewster; and Paul Fallon.