15.2716, Jobs: French/Applied Ling: Asst Prof, U of Alberta

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 1 03:25:54 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2716. Thu Sep 30 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2716, Jobs: French/Applied Ling: Asst Prof, U of Alberta

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 29-Sep-2004
From: Dolores Wohland < dolores.wohland at ualberta.ca >
Subject: French/Applied Linguistics: Asst Prof, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:14:48
From: Dolores Wohland < dolores.wohland at ualberta.ca >

University or Organization: University of Alberta
Department: Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Second Language acquisition
Required Language(s): French

French Language Program Co-ordinator

The Department of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies at the University
of Alberta invites applications for a position in French Applied
Linguistics at the rank of Assistant Professor, with a specialty in Second
Languages Acquisition. The successful candidate will function as the
FrenchUndergraduate Language Programs Co-ordinator for the large program in
French, effective July1, 2005. Minimum salary for Assistant Professor level
is currently $51,770.

Responsibilities will include: coordinate and administer the Department's
French undergraduate language programs; supervise and mentor graduate
teaching assistants and sessional instructors; with other colleagues, teach
the graduate seminar in Teaching Strategies and Methodologies; prepare and
deliver teaching workshops for faculty and students; engage in teaching and
research in second language acquisition and pedagogy at undergraduate and
graduate levels.

A PhD in French Applied Linguistics, or equivalent experience, is required.
Native or near-native proficiency in French is also required, as is
demonstrated competence and experience in the administration of
undergraduate language programs. Candidates should also offer skills and
research interests in computer assisted language learning (CALL).

Applicants should also have a strong cultural orientation to their
professional activities and be open to collaboration with other
disciplines. Our Department is closely linked to the Arts Resource Centre.
Six applied linguists work in French, German, Russian, Spanish, and
Ukrainian. The successful candidate will be expected to interact closely
with these groups in order to support high quality undergraduate second
language instruction and research in French. Knowledge of other relevant
languages would be an asset.

Applications including cv, all university transcripts, and three letters of
recommendation should sent to the address below. E-mail inquiries may be
directed to: dolores.wohland at ualberta.ca; tel: (780) 492-1997; fax: (780)
492-9106. Closing date for applications is November 22, 2004.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens
or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be
considered. The University hires on the basis of merit. We are dedicated to
the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage
applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with
disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

Address for Applications:

Dr. Marianne Henn, Acting Chair
Department of Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
Arts 200
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E6
Canada

Application Deadline: 22-Nov-2004

Contact Information:

Dolores Wohland
Email: dolores.wohland at ualberta.ca
Phone: (780) 492 - 1997
Fax: (780) 492 - 9106
Website: http://www.mlcs.ca

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!