15.2728, Qs: Ellipsis Survey; English Dialect Alternation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 1 21:34:02 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2728. Fri Oct 01 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2728, Qs: Ellipsis Survey; English Dialect Alternation

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Sep-2004
From: Marjorie McShane < marge at umbc.edu >
Subject: Ellipsis Survey

2)
Date: 30-Sep-2004
From: Mark Jones < markjjones at hotmail.com >
Subject: English Dialect Alternation

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:30:17
From: Marjorie McShane < marge at umbc.edu >

I am seeking linguists who are native speakers of languages other than
English or Russian to participate in a project to describe the ellipsis
properties of languages cross-linguistically. Participants will be asked to fill
out a theory-neutral survey about ellipsis whose results will be compiled
into a freely accessible database. Linguists who are not native speakers but
can work with the latter are also encouraged to participate.

At this point, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who is, in principle,
interested in participating in this project (no strings attached!). Ideally, this
work will lead to building a community of researchers who can jointly flesh
out this complex aspect of language description.

Please respond directly to me, Marge McShane, at:

marge at umbc.edu

Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics;
Language Description; Semantics; Syntax