15.2756, Jobs: Computational Ling: Programmer, New York

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 4 12:32:08 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2756. Mon Oct 04 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2756, Jobs: Computational Ling: Programmer, New York

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 15-Sep-2004
From: Ashley Larive < seniorcs2004 at choicemaker.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, ChoiceMaker Technologies, Inc., New York, USA

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:26:28
From: Ashley Larive < seniorcs2004 at choicemaker.com >

University or Organization: ChoiceMaker Technologies, Inc.
Job Rank: Scientist
Specialty Areas: None

ChoiceMaker Technologies seeks an excellent Java programmer with a proven
ability to work on difficult algorithmic and applications engineering
problems to assist us in further enhancing our cutting-edge data quality
software, ChoiceMaker 2. We offer a challenging, creative environment and
will be expecting the successfulapplicant to contribute to the development
of new techniques for fast and accurate approximate record matching
algorithms. Note that while computational linguistics issues are only one
part of this job, the successful applicant will be dealing with a number of
complex parsing problems, particularly involving the parsing and
normalization of domestic and international person names and addresses, so
computational linguists are particularly interesting to us.

Primary Responsibilities: ChoiceMaker seeks a talented computer scientist,
skilled in Java, to perform multiple tasks:
- Perform NSF-funded research into machine learning, data parsing, and data
  standardization techniques which will improve ChoiceMaker 2's speed and
accuracy
- Collaborate with ChoiceMaker customer deployment teams to devise ways to
deploy accurate record matching systems for clients with less effort using
our patented machine learning technology, our ClueMaker programming
language, and our "ModelMaker" interactive development environment
- Perform general application design and coding related to enhancing these
modeling components
- Provide expert advice and assistance on building ChoiceMaker record
matching models for clients

Mandatory Qualifications:
- Ability to work on difficult computer science problems involving complex
algorithms
- M.S. or Ph.D. in computer science or equivalent experience demonstrating
ability to do computer science research
- Excellent Java programming abilities

Key Desirable Qualifications: We are particularly interested in candidates
who are strong in one or more of the following areas:
- Data quality, data  standardization, approximate record matching, or
database deduplication
-Experience in data mining would also be very helpful
- Artificial Intelligence -Especially computational linguistics and machine
learning
- Applications Engineering

Secondary Desirable Qualifications:
- Eclipse plugin development and SWT experience - J2EE, CORBA, Web Services
(SOAP)
- Experience with PL/SQL and Oracle, MS SQL Server, DB2, or other DBMS
- Database programming and performance tuning, especially for complex queries
- Programming languages and compilers
- Experience producing shrink-wrapped software or software used at dozens
of installations
- Experience with design patterns and software development rocesses
- Development experience under Windows, Linux, UNIX

To apply: Please send your resume to  seniorcs2004 at choicemaker.com.  No
phone calls please. A cover letter stating how you meet each mandatory
qualification and describing which desirable qualifications you possess is
very helpful.

About ChoiceMaker: ChoiceMaker Technologies has developed a patented
machine-learning system, ChoiceMaker 2, that matches records of people,
businesses, or other entities in large databases filled with inconsistent
information. For instance, ChoiceMaker 2 can recognize that ''Arthur P.
Goldberg'' and ''Artie Paul Goldburg'' are probably the same individual.
Founded in 1998, ChoiceMaker Technologies is a New York City-based firm
with a highly talented staff that includes three Ph.D.'s. The company has
won two Small Business Innovation Research grants from the National Science
Foundation to further its ground-breaking work in machine learning
approaches to approximate record matching. Clients include the New York
City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the New York State Education
Department, the U.S. Census Bureau, and Citigroup.

Address for Applications:

	HR Manager Ashley Larive
	71 West 23rd Street
	Suite 515
	New York, NY 10010
	United States of America

Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2004

Contact Information:

	HR Manager Ashley Larive
	Email: seniorcs2004 at choicemaker.com
	Website: http://www.choicemaker.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!