15.2799, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Post Doc, U of Michigan

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 6 18:24:27 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2799. Wed Oct 06 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2799, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Post Doc, U of Michigan

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 05-Oct-2004
From: Dragomir Radev < radev at umich.edu >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Post Doc, University of Michigan, MI, USA

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:20:04
From: Dragomir Radev < radev at umich.edu >

University or Organization: University of Michigan
Department: SI/EECS/Linguistics
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Natural Language Processing

The Group in Computational Linguistics and Natural Language Processing at the
University of Michigan is seeking a postdoctoral researcher.  Candidates should
have previous experience in relevant areas of Computer Science. We are
particularly interested in candidates with prior research experience in
statistical NLP, including parsing, language modeling, summarization, question
answering, generation, and machine translation.

The university of Michigan is located in Ann Arbor, MI, 25 miles from Detroit
Metropolitan Airport which has hundreds of direct flights to the USA, Canada,
Asia, and Europe. Ann Arbor, population 110,000, is a diverse college town, with
a large selection of cultural and athletic facilities.

Our group is a cooperative effort involving Computer Science, Linguistics, and
the School of Information, and drawing on the many resources in Computer,
Cognitive, and Information Science at this university.  We also have strong
connections to the    Program in Bioinformatics.  The core members of the group
include    Steven Abney, Dragomir Radev, and Richmond Thomason.

We are seeking an energetic, independent person with excellent communication
skills.  As well as independent cooperative research, duties will involve
coordinating and developing new research proposals. High proficiency in the
following areas will be particularly valuable: programming; theoretical computer
science, mathematics, and statistics; technical writing in English.

The two-year position carries a starting salary of $48,000, with fringe
benefits.  There is some flexibility in starting time for this position, but
ideally we would expect employment to begin on January 1, 2005. Applications
will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.  To apply,
please send (preferably in plain text) the following documents:
(1) a c.v. including the names and email addresses of 2-4 people who know your
work well and will be available as references. Do not ask for letters to be sent
at this time.
(2) a 1-2 page description of your research interests in an email to
rthomaso at eecs.umich.edu (Richmond Thomason). Use ''CL/NLP postdoc application
from [your-name]'' as the subject of your email.

Address for Applications:

	Professor Richmond Thomason
	apply via email only
	Ann Arbor, MI 48109
	United States of America

Application Deadline: 05-Mar-2005

Contact Information:

	Professor Richmond Thomason
	Email: rthomaso at eecs.umich.edu
	Phone: email only
	Website: http://www.umich.edu/cl

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.  It is
being posted as a service to the discipline.