15.2809, Qs: American English Vowel Shift; Edo Resources

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 7 20:44:43 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2809. Thu Oct 07 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2809, Qs: American English Vowel Shift; Edo Resources

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Oct-2004
From: Johanna Rubba < jrubba at calpoly.edu >
Subject: American Vowel Shift

2)
Date: 03-Oct-2004
From: Presley Ifukor < ifupresley at hotmail.com >
Subject: Edo Resources

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:41:27
From: Johanna Rubba < jrubba at calpoly.edu >

A student of mine is working on a So. Cal. vowel shift. We need two things:

(1) A program she can use to train herself to hear minute vowel
differences and associate them with the correct IPA symbols.

(2) We are looking for recordings that demonstrate the Northern Cities
Vowel Shift. I heard about samples in which a speaker would say a word
in isolation (e.g., [blak]), then in a context. For this word, to a NE
ear, she would be saying ''black'', but she was actually saying ''block''.
Does anyone know of a source of these samples, on the web or via library
loan? I found one website (at U of AZ)that supposedly had such samples,
but I got no audio when clicking on the example word.

Thanks for any help!

Johanna Rubba
Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department,
California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics