15.2827, Qs: 'Akule' Origin; Testing Lexicographers

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 10 20:07:34 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2827. Sun Oct 10 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2827, Qs: 'Akule' Origin; Testing Lexicographers

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Oct-2004
From: Wayles Browne < ewb2 at cornell.edu >
Subject: Meaning and origin of Akule

2)
Date: 06-Oct-2004
From: Meme Rhee < meme at bigfootventures.com >
Subject: Testing Lexicographers

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:04:25
From: Wayles Browne < ewb2 at cornell.edu >

Dear Linguists,

Friends of friends of mine found the name Akule on one of several web sites
devoted to unique baby names and gave it to their new son. The name Akule
is said to be of ''Native American'' origin and to mean ''He looks up''.

Can anyone recognize the language? Web searches give akule as the Hawaiian
term for a species of large-eyed fish; is there a connection?

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.