15.2828, Qs: Negation/Boraana Oromo; Voicing Contrasts

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 10 20:15:55 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2828. Sun Oct 10 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2828, Qs: Negation/Boraana Oromo; Voicing Contrasts

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Oct-2004
From: Ljuba Veselinova < ljuba at ling.su.se >
Subject: Negation of non-verbal sentences in Boraana Oromo

2)
Date: 08-Oct-2004
From: Jordan Brewer < jbbrewer at email.arizona.edu >
Subject: Restrictions On Voicing Contrasts

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:11:08
From: Ljuba Veselinova < ljuba at ling.su.se >

I would like to get more data on the negation of non-verbal sentences
in Boraana Oromo. I used Harry Stroomer?s grammar (1995, Köln: Köppe
Verlag) so I think I have the basic facts. However, the questions listed below
remain unclear.

(1)	Do the negative copulas miiti, niiti, niini occur in statements which refer
to time other than the present?
(2)	Can one use the standard negative prefix hin- with the locative-existential
verb jira?
(3)	I have the same question about the verb taa which is used as a copula in
positive non-verbal sentences with non-present time reference e.g. ?he was
rich? or ?he will be rich?. How is taa negated?

Any pointers to relevant literature or to people who can provide me with data
will be greatly appreciated. I will summarize if there is interest.

Best wishes,
Ljuba

Linguistic Field(s): Typology