15.2917, Jobs: Italian: Asst Prof, University of Calgary

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 15 04:32:25 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2917. Fri Oct 15 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2917, Jobs: Italian: Asst Prof, University of Calgary

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 14-Oct-2004
From: Katherine Guevara < kguevara at ucalgary.ca >
Subject: Italian: Assistant Professor, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:25:53
From: Katherine Guevara < kguevara at ucalgary.ca >

University or Organization: University of Calgary
Department: French, Italian and Spanish
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Language, modern literature and culture
Required Language: Italian

The Department of French, Italian and Spanish invites applications for a
five-year limited-term  position as an Assistant Professor of Italian, effective
July 1, 2005.  We are seeking candidates with expertise in Italian language,
modern literature and culture. The teaching load is two courses per term.

An active research program, evidence of effective teaching and native or
near-native competence in Italian are required.  Preferred qualifications
include a completed PhD at the time of appointment and competence in another
Romance language. The successful candidate will work closely with the University
of Calgary?s Language Research Centre (http://www.ucalgary.ca/lrc).

The Department currently offers a Minor in Italian Studies, as well as BA, MA
and special-case PhD degrees in French and Spanish and the opportunity for
interdisciplinary graduate work.  The area of second-language studies has been
identified as one of the 16 pillars of excellence in the University of Calgary
Academic Plan.

Applications should include a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, a
writing sample and evidence of teaching effectiveness. Applicants should also
arrange for three confidential letters of reference or their placement dossier
to be sent to the Department. Consideration of applications will begin December
13, 2004 and will continue until the position is filled.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority.

The University of Calgary respects, appreciates and encourages diversity.

Address for Applications:

Dr. Luis Torres, Head
Department of French, Italian and Spanish
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive N.W.
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
Canada.

Application Deadline: Open until filled

Contact Information:

Dr. Luis Torres
Email: fishead at ucalgary.ca
Phone: (403) 220-4002/5300
Fax: (403) 284-3634
Website: http://fis.ucalgary.ca

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!