15.2600, Qs: ESL Teaching/Accents; Compound Verb Structures

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 19 21:33:56 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2600. Sun Sep 19 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2600, Qs: ESL Teaching/Accents; Compound Verb Structures

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 16 Sep 04 19:57:59 EDT
From:  Stanley Dubinsky <DUBINSK at VM.SC.EDU>
Subject:  Influence of non-English accents in ESL teaching

2)
Date:  Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:46:53 -0700
From:  "Paul Listen" <p.listen at att.net>
Subject:  Taxonomy: Compound Verb Structures in German and English

Date:  Thu, 16 Sep 04 19:57:59 EDT
From:  Stanley Dubinsky <DUBINSK at VM.SC.EDU>

I have a query from an alumna of our program, who is currently teaching
ESL in a rural school district in South Carolina.  She writes:

"I need some reseach that shows proof that ESL students will not pick up
 the accent of their Japanese English teacher. Some unwarranted concerns
 have arisen, and I'd like to help dispell the myths."

If anyone can point to references on this issue, or other bits of
information, I will pass these along to her (and will summarize for the
list if there seems to be interest).

Thank you,
Stan Dubinsky

Stanley Dubinsky