15.2633, Qs: Mp3/Ipod Recording; Ling Resources for Blind

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 23 04:33:43 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2633. Thu Sep 23 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2633, Qs: Mp3/Ipod Recording; Ling Resources for Blind

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Sep-2004
From: Nicole Rosen < nicole.rosen at uleth.ca >
Subject: Field Recording: Mp3 players, Ipod

2)
Date: 21-Sep-2004
From: Kevin Watson < k.d.watson at lancaster.ac.uk >
Subject: Ling Resources for Blind Students

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:24:40
From: Nicole Rosen < nicole.rosen at uleth.ca >
I've done a search and not a lot has been said about mp3 players
specifically, so I'm hoping to get more information here.

I'm looking to purchase audio recording equipment for field work, and
I'd like to have the option to do phonetic analysis.  I understand
that minidisks distort the sound somewhat, and the audio technician
in the resource centre here at my university suggested either DAT, or
preferably iPod.  I know that DAT is fairly standard, but was hoping
to avoid the digitization process.  The problem is that I don't know
any linguists using iPods/mp3 players going ahead and buying this
equipment without hearing testimonies.

So, is anyone out there using these players for field recording?  If
so, any information would useful, including accessories needed if
any.

Thanks, and I'll post a summary of responses.