16.1161, Diss: Semantics: Mlynarczyk: 'Aspectual Pairing in ...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 12 16:08:32 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1161. Tue Apr 12 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1161, Diss: Semantics: Mlynarczyk: 'Aspectual Pairing in ...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Apr-2005
From: Anna Mlynarczyk < Anna.Mlynarczyk at let.uu.nl >
Subject: Aspectual Pairing in Polish

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:07:24
From: Anna Mlynarczyk < Anna.Mlynarczyk at let.uu.nl >

Institution: Utrecht University
Program: Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2004

Author: Anna K. Mlynarczyk

Dissertation Title: Aspectual Pairing in Polish

Dissertation URL:  http://www.library.uu.nl/digiarchief/dip/diss/2004-0309-140804/inhoud.htm

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics

Subject Language(s): Polish (PQL)

Dissertation Director(s):
Patrick Blackburn
Henk Verkuyl
Henriette de Swart

Dissertation Abstract:

The received view on Slavic aspect is that it is intrinsically complex, and
that there is little hope of discerning any substantial regularity. We
argue that this view is mistaken. We argue that the vast majority of Polish
verbs really do come in aspectual pairs and that far from being a
mysterious process, aspectual pairing in Polish is simple and regular. We
introduce a classification of Polish verbs that pins down the mechanism of
aspectual pairing in Polish.

Our classification is formationally-driven: we divide Polish verbs into
basic five classes on the basis of the patterns of aspectual affixation
they enter into (we call affixes used for aspectual purposes 'formants').
But in spite of its essentially formal nature, our aspectual classification
reveals considerable semantic regularity in the Polish verb system. Indeed,
the classification induces temporal distinctions on Polish verbs,
distinctions that look rather like Vendler-style distinctions. We formalise
the distinctions with the tools of modal semantics.

We describe the evolution of the Polish aspectual system, and show how our
classification could have emerged diachronically. We present the history of
the study of aspect and Aktionsart and locate where the approach to Polish
verb pairs introduced in this thesis differs from what the reader will find
in the various literatures on aspect. We also relate the ideas of this
thesis to the ideas the reader can find in the modern approaches to Slavic
aspect written in the post-Chomskian tradition.

We hope that the work presented in this thesis will be useful to
researchers interested in aspect from both the Germanic and Slavic traditions.