16.544, Sum: Expectations, Semantics & Understanding

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 23 17:49:25 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-544. Wed Feb 23 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.544, Sum: Expectations, Semantics & Understanding

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Feb-2005
From: Stephen Deiss < deiss at appliedneuro.com >
Subject: Expectations, Semantics & Understanding

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:43:59
From: Stephen Deiss < deiss at appliedneuro.com >

Regarding query http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-1015.html#2

In this prior post, I sought advice about an approach to semantics
postulating use of metacognition as a ''feeling of understanding'' that
accompanies knowing what to do or how to react upon hearing a
communication.  I received several helpful responses.  I went on after that
to refine this idea, including doing a behavioral experiment, and the ideas
continue to be refined as time permits.  There will likely be a follow-on
experiment.

The approach is now described in more detail in an essay that has not yet
been polished up to academic submission standards, but is suggestive enough
to get across the motivation behind the experiment.  That essay is entitled
''What It All Means (On What Comes Next)'' and the current draft can be
found at http://www.appliedneuro.com/WIAM.html . The experiment had a
negative result partly explained by methodological difficulties, but it did
suggest a new way of studying semantics behaviorally.  That write up is at
http://www.appliedneuro.com/FOUL_Exp.pdf

As before, any comments are appreciated especially those referring me to
related work of others.

Steve Deiss
Applied Neurodynamics
Encinitas, CA