16.79, Qs: Superlatives; Interaction in Inquiry Offices

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 13 18:59:26 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-79. Thu Jan 13 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.79, Qs: Superlatives; Interaction in Inquiry Offices

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Jan-2005
From: Penka Stateva < stateva at zas.gwz-berlin.de >
Subject: Superlatives

2)
Date: 05-Jan-2005
From: Jana Kubista < Jana.Kubista at gmx.net >
Subject: Interaction in Inquiry Offices

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:53:50
From: Penka Stateva < stateva at zas.gwz-berlin.de >

Dear linguists,

I am interested in the ways languages of the world form superlative
constructions. So far I am aware of three morphological strategies: English
type using a special superlative morpheme (-est/least), Slavic/Baltic type
using both a comparative and a superlative morpheme, and Arabic type using
the same morpheme to express comparative and superlative meaning. Each of
these strategies are exemplified below:

(1) John is the smartest.

(2)Ivan je najpametniji
   Ivan is most-smart-er
   'Ivan is the smartest.'   (Serbo-Croatian)

(3) Sa9da     Ahmad  a9la     al-dzhibaali
    climbed  Ahmad  more-high the mountains
    'John climbed the highest mountain.'      (Standard Arabic)

I would like to know if there exist other linguistic means in which
superlativity can be expressed in different languages. To this effect, I
would be very grateful if you could let me know how the following simple
sentences are translated into your language:

(4) John is the smartest.
(5) John climbed the highest mountain.
(6) John ran the fastest.

Any further hints and pointers will be highly appreciated. Please respond
directly to stateva at zas.gwz-berlin.de

If there is sufficient response, I will post a summary.

best wishes,
Penka Stateva

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Typology