16.80, Qs: Use of 'what it is is'; Latin Pronunciation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 13 19:15:05 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-80. Thu Jan 13 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.80, Qs: Use of 'what it is is'; Latin Pronunciation

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Jan-2005
From: Emma Pavey < elpavey1 at hotmail.com >
Subject: Use of 'what it is is'

2)
Date: 10-Jan-2005
From: Clayton Graham < claygraham at comcast.net >
Subject: Latin used in the movie

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:13:29
From: Emma Pavey < elpavey1 at hotmail.com >

I'm interested in the use of 'what it is is? (and variations) as a fixed
expression used as a discourse marker/floor-holding device, as in the
following examples.

(1) Q: Tell me about the women's group that you've started.
     A: I just started a group on campus when I got back from Italy. Right
now it's called the Women's Group. Basically what it is, is I was tired of
the things that happen to women being shushed.
(http://flathat.wm.edu/November222002/thatperson.shtml)

(2) S: ... isn't the Bush policy a continuation of the Clinton
administration's policy vis- a-vis Iraq?
     B: No, what it is is it's jacking it up on steroids and taking us into
a war that I think we can win without putting our troops in harm's way.
(http://cgi.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0303/14/cf.00.html)

I?m also hearing single ?is? versions (in the south-east of England) such
as (3)

(3) What it is, I changed my migraine medication.

It seems to me there must be some type of mutual influence/sanctioning
between these (1-3) and ?double copula? constructions (and possibly their
single ?is? counterparts) ?The thing/problem is (is)? etc. which have been
discussed before on this list.

I?m particularly interested to know if the use in examples such as in (1-3)
occur in other varieties of English, particular new Englishes, and to know
of any studies on this particular use.
Thanks; I will post a summary
Emma Pavey

Dr Emma Pavey