16.126, FYI: Society of Slavic Linguists; Lang Origin/Evolution

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 17 18:12:39 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-126. Mon Jan 17 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.126, FYI: Society of Slavic Linguists; Lang Origin/Evolution

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Jan-2005
From: Gilbert Rappaport < grapp at mail.utexas.edu >
Subject: Call to register for Society of Slavic Linguists

2)
Date: 11-Jan-2005
From: Paul Vogt < paulv at ling.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Tutorial: Language Origins and Evolution

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:06:18
From: Gilbert Rappaport < grapp at mail.utexas.edu >

To everyone interested in the linguistic study of Slavic languages!

After a productive roundtable discusson at a recent conference (AATSEEL),
we have decided to go ahead with the organization of a new Society for
Slavic Linguistics. At this initial stage in the process our intent is
simply to create a 'virtual' society, although eventually we hope to hold
scholarly meetings. Our intent is to to create an inclusive scholarly
community of people working on linguistic problems of the Slavic languages.
Membership is free and open to all, regardless of theoretical or
methodological orientation, professional status, or geographic location.

Our first goal is to set up web pages of potential use to Slavic linguists.
So if you are interested in joining all you need to do is register at:

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~svab420/register.htm

We will add you to our new list server SLAVICLING (unless you would prefer that
we not). Eventually we will solicit additional materials which could be posted
to the web  for public download. You can provide pdf versions of research
papers, teaching materials you wish to share, or even a current cv.

In addition to downloadable papers, the web site will eventually also have
pages with the following kinds of information of general interest:

        UPCOMING MEETINGS
        JOB VACANCIES
        RESEARCH/STUDY/GRANT OPPORTUNITIES
        LINKS TO OTHER USEFUL SITES

We look forward to hearing from you.

Steve Franks, Indiana University
Gilbert Rappaport, University of Texas at Austin

Contact GR about problems with website or listserver: grapp at mail.utexas.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable