16.150, Qs: NP's with +human feature; LaTex Stylefile

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 18 22:21:18 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-150. Tue Jan 18 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.150, Qs: NP's with +human feature; LaTex Stylefile

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Jan-2005
From: Ilhan Cagri < ilhan at umd.edu >
Subject: NP's with +human feature

2)
Date: 18-Jan-2005
From: Line Mikkelsen < mikkelse at socrates.Berkeley.EDU >
Subject: LaTex Stylefile

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:19:58
From: Ilhan Cagri < ilhan at umd.edu >

In Turkish, I am coming up with intervention effects in relative clauses
with +human NP subjects but not in identical clauses with nonhuman
subjects.  For example, ''the mother whose child lions ate'' is good, but
''the deer whose fawn hunters ate'' is bad.  I have many such examples
where the only difference is that the external argument is either + or
-human.  Has anyone else noticed effects of a +human feature on an NP in
any language?  Please email me at ilhan at umd.edu. Thanks.

Ilhan Cagri

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax