16.222, Confs: Applied Ling/Lang Acquisition/Washington DC, USA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 24 21:22:35 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-222. Mon Jan 24 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.222, Confs: Applied Ling/Lang Acquisition/Washington DC, USA

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Amy Wronkowicz <amy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Jan-2005
From: Heather Weger-Guntharp < gurt at georgetown.edu >
Subject: Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:13:46
From: Heather Weger-Guntharp < gurt at georgetown.edu >

Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics
Short Title: GURT 2005

Date: 10-Mar-2005 - 13-Mar-2005
Location: Washington DC, United States of America
Contact: Heidi Byrnes
Contact Email: gurt at georgetown.edu
Meeting URL: http://www.georgetown.edu/events/gurt/2005

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language
Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

We invite you to attend the Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and
Linguistics (GURT) 2005 on the campus of Georgetown University from Thursday,
March 10, to Sunday, March 13, 2005.

The theme of the conference is:  EDUCATING FOR ADVANCED FOREIGN LANGUAGE
CAPACITIES: CONSTRUCTS, CURRICULUM, INSTRUCTION, ASSESSMENT.

The full conference schedule is available online at
http://www.georgetown.edu/events/gurt/2005
where you can find full details on our plenary speakers (Langacker, Matthiessen,
Norris, Swain, and Wertsch), our invited symposia (chaired by Doughty, Lantolf,
Ortega, Stutterheim & Carroll, and Walker), our colloquia, and our
pre-conference workshops that will kick off the conference.  Information on
registration, accommodations, and travel is also available.

The conference will focus on all aspects of instructed foreign language learning
to advanced levels, a topic that has begun to attract considerable attention of
late, not least because of an interest in sustaining the language of heritage
language speakers and in assuring high levels of language competence for
Americans working in a global environment.

Central strands for the conference are:  (1) theories of language for learning
and teaching a foreign language to advanced levels, (2) curriculum construction
in support of advanced foreign language acquisition, (3) instructional
approaches that foster advanced-level foreign language capacities, from the
standpoint of learners and teachers, and (4) assessment of advanced foreign
language abilities, both within a programmatic environment and outside of it.

Please contact gurt at georgetown.edu if you have any questions.