16.646, Sum: English Word Stress Database

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 4 23:12:06 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-646. Fri Mar 04 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.646, Sum: English Word Stress Database

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Mar-2005
From: Sarah Collie < sejcollie at hotmail.com >
Subject: English Word Stress Database

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:09:00
From: Sarah Collie < sejcollie at hotmail.com >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-570.html#2

There have been some interesting responses concerning a searchable English
word stress database. People may find the following to be useful:

On-line English Dictionary, searchable by syllable count, stress pattern
and other features: http://www.lexicon.arizona.edu/%7Ehammond/newdic.html

The equivalent 'raw' file of the preceding:
http://dingo.sbs.arizona.edu/~hammond/lsasummer03/newdic.txt

Truespel: http://www.foreignword.com/dictionary/truespel/transpel.htm

Celex: http://www.ru.nl/celex/

Teschner, Richard V. & M. Stanley Whitely (2004). Pronouncing English: A
Stress-Based Approach with CD-Rom. Washington: Georgetown University Press.

I'm sure any feedback on these sites would be appreciated by their
creators, as well as being of interest to myself. Many thanks to everyone
who emailed me these suggestions.

Sarah Collie
Edinburgh University

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics