16.647, Jobs: English Ling: Academic Director, U of Maryland

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 4 23:30:37 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-647. Fri Mar 04 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.647, Jobs: English Ling: Academic Director, U of Maryland

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 04-Mar-2005
From: R Hoffman < writingdir at umuc.edu >
Subject: English Linguistics: Academic Director, University of Maryland University College, MD, USA

Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:25:38
From: R Hoffman < writingdir at umuc.edu >

University or Organization: University of Maryland University College
Department: Humanities and Arts
Job Rank: Academic Director  of Writing
Specialty Areas: English Linguistics

The University of Maryland University College is a global, rapid change,
high growth, institution focused on employed adult students. We have
expanding faculty opportunities for innovative academic leaders who value
excellence in teaching and lifelong learning.

The Academic Director of Writing position may be right for you if you have
already distinguished yourself as a program leader with expert knowledge of
the pedagogy of writing and have a strong record of teaching writing.

This full-time academic position is in the Department of Humanities and
Arts in the School of Undergraduate Studies. As Academic Director, you will
provide intellectual and administrative leadership to a University-wide
initiative that is expected to transform writing across our global
curriculum. Your role will encompass reviewing, revising, and designing
writing courses as well as hiring, training, and supervising core faculty
in the writing programs in the U.S. and our division in Europe and Asia.
You may teach 1-2 courses per year.

Successful candidates for this position will have experience administering
a broad-based writing program and hold a PhD in English, preferably with a
specialization in writing, rhetoric, or linguistics. Experience with
distance education delivery and technology used in a liberal arts
curriculum is preferred.

Why consider UMUC?  The University of Maryland University College is the
Open University of the state of Maryland and of the United States. We are
the second largest university in Maryland and one of 11 degree-granting
institutions in the University System of Maryland. We are accredited by the
Commission on Higher Education for the Middle States Association of
Colleges and Schools. UMUC in its entirety has but one focus— the
educational needs of the nontraditional student. For over 50 years, we have
fostered the highest academic standards. Today, with over 120,000 online
student enrollments, we are the global leader in online education. UMUC is
the recipient of the Sloan Award for Most Outstanding Online Teaching and
Learning Program.

The University of Maryland University College is located in Adelphi,
Maryland, only minutes from Washington, D.C. and all of the cultural, arts,
recreation and entertainment of a national capital city.

For consideration, please e-mail a cover letter with the names and contact
information for three references, and a CV or résumé, to:
writingdir at umuc.edu (in email subject line please reference 'WD001'), or
mail to the address below.

Screening of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.  EOE/F/MC/V. Women and minority applicants are strongly
encouraged to apply.

To learn more visit : http://www.umuc.edu/faculty

Address for Applications:

R Hoffman
Worldwide Faculty Recruitment
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

R Hoffman
Email: writingdir at umuc.edu
Website: http://www.umuc.edu

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.