16.882, Sum: Language Brokering as a Research Topic

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 23 17:49:17 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-882. Wed Mar 23 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.882, Sum: Language Brokering as a Research Topic

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Mar-2005
From: Jack Hall < jhall at uh.edu >
Subject: Language Brokering as a Research Topic

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:47:23
From: Jack Hall < jhall at uh.edu >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-586.html#2

Thank you to the two LINGUIST subscribers who responded to my query of Feb.
27: Is ''Language brokering'' a sufficiently important research topic in
linguistics to request that the Library of Congress establish an official
subject heading for it? The two responders were:

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
Nancy Frishberg

One lister felt ''I haven't got much to say about the library heading ...
except that it does seem to fill a niche of its own'', while the other
felt, ''this is not a necessary term in cataloguing, yet. Perhaps it's
coming into greater attention, I consider this ... a special case of
interpreting.''

>From these two replies, and the small number of them, I conclude for now
that LINGUIST subscribers do not recommend strongly that the Library of
Congress establish an official subject heading.