16.915, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, The Boeing Company

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 26 02:51:08 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-915. Fri Mar 25 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.915, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, The Boeing Company

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 25-Mar-2005
From: Peter Clark < peter.e.clark at boeing.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Researcher, The Boeing Company, WA, USA

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:46:11
From: Peter Clark < peter.e.clark at boeing.com >

University or Organization: The Boeing Company
Department: Mathematics and Computing Technology
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Knowledge Representation

The Mathematics and Computing Technology unit in Phantom Works, the central
R&D organization in the Boeing Company, invites applications for the position of
Advanced Computing Technologist, to work in the Information Management Group.
M&CT technologists perform applied research and development in Mathematics and
Computing Technologies to improve Boeing's aerospace industry. The Information
Management group is carrying out leading edge research and development in the
areas of:
- Knowledge Representation,
- Knowledge Acquisition,
- Knowledge Integration,
- Natural Language Understanding, and
- Commonsense Reasoning.

In particular, we are actively developing technologies for:
- Capturing knowledge using a simplified subset of English
- Integrating new knowledge appropriately with an existing knowledge base
- Performing machine reasoning and question-answering using formal representations
- Encoding and using commonsense knowledge
- Using knowledge to guide language understanding
- Appropriately interacting with the user

We are looking for a proactive, highly capable individual to join our team and
contribute to research and development in these exciting areas. The candidate
should have a strong interest and ability in both long-term research and
Lisp-based implementation.

Job Skills:
- US citizenship required
- Prefer a PhD and 10 yrs of experience, but require at least a MSc and 5 years
experience, or a PhD in computer science or related field, or equivalent with
skills team approval.

Strong experience in Artificial Intelligence, in particular:
- logic-based approaches to knowledge representation
- machine reasoning
- natural language processing and semantics

- Strong and proven ability in Lisp programming. Experience in other languages
is also advantageous.
- Demonstrated ability to perform innovative research and create novel solutions
to difficult technical challenges.
- Proven record of publications.
- Enjoys applying research results to real-world problems.
- Good interpersonal, teamwork, writing, and communication skills
- Proactive and self-motivated

About the Group:
Boeing's Mathematics and Computing Technology Organization is conducting
leading-edge research in many areas of Artificial Intelligence, including
knowledge-based systems, language processing, data mining, agent technologies,
ontological engineering, and neural networks, and is an exciting group to be a
part of. We are situated in Seattle, Washington State, in one of the most
beautiful parts of the USA, with beautiful mountains, ocean, and islands all
nearby. The city and surrounding areas provide many cultural and recreational
opportunities.

Applications: Apply directly via Boeing Web site at:
https://jobs.boeing.com/JobSeeker/JobSearch
Requisition number: 05-1004825

Because of conflict of interest rules, Boeing has tried to exclude persons
identified to it as government employees from distribution of this mailing. If
you are in government or military service, please regard this package as widely
distributed information only and not a solicitation. Government or military
service members need to ensure they comply with any laws and regulations related
to seeking employment outside of government before contacting Boeing.

Address for Applications

	The Boeing Company
	P.O. Box 3707
	Seattle, WA 98124
	United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Phil Mathews
	Email: phil.mathews at boeing.com
	Phone: (562) 593 3289
	Website: http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/art/

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.