16.2608, Sum: Irregular English Past Tense

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 11 21:49:12 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2608. Sun Sep 11 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2608, Sum: Irregular English Past Tense

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Sep-2005
From: Scott McClure < scott.mcclure at yale.edu >
Subject: Irregular English Past Tense

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:47:53
From: Scott McClure < scott.mcclure at yale.edu >

Regarding query:  http://linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-2594.html#1

On Sept. 9, I posted a query about Albright and Hayes (2003) ''Rules vs.
Analogies in the English Past Tense: A Computational/Experimental Study,''
and whether anyone knew of any similar work, especially work involving
children and overgeneralization. Several people who responded kindly
mentioned these articles:

Ragnarsdottir, Simonsen, and Plunkett (1999) ''The acquisition of past
tense morphology in Icelandic and Norwegian children: an experimental
study,'' Journal of Child Language, v. 26, 577-618.

Marchman, Plunkett, and Goodman (1997) ''Overregularization in English
plural and past tense morphology: a respnse to Marcus (1995),'' Journal of
Child Language, v. 24, 767-779.

Ramscar (2002) ''The role of meaning in inflection: Why the past tense does
not require a rule,'' Cognitive Psychology, v. 45, 45-94.

Thanks again to everyone who responded,
Scott

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Psycholinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)