17.1266, FYI: CFP for Book on Language Attitudes

Wed Apr 26 13:34:13 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1266. Wed Apr 26 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1266, FYI: CFP for Book on Language Attitudes

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Svetlana Aksenova <svetlana at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Apr-2006
From: Patricia Donaher < donaher at missouriwestern.edu >
Subject: CFP for Book on Language Attitudes

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:32:36
From: Patricia Donaher < donaher at missouriwestern.edu >

I am looking for papers for a possible publication of collected essays
on language attitudes, both historical and contemporary. Possible
topics include but are not limited to the following:

* historical studies of language and language attitudes, historical
incidents and their outcomes/descendents
* media obsessions with language
* professional, corporate, or other industry-related language attitudes
* attitudes towards dialect, code-switching
* language attitudes and education, including pedagogical approaches
* attitudes expressed in gendered communication or other
sociolinguistic topics
* attitudes about second language acquisition
* language attitudes mirrored or explored in literature, pop culture,
television, etc.
* attitudes about the effect of technology on language
* AND? Tell me about your own passion with regard to language
attitudes!

Final essays should be between 6500 and 8000 words, including
citations.

Please send proposals or completed papers accompanied by
abstracts via email attachment (MSWord or RTF) by July 1, 2006.
Please include a short curriculum vitae and your contact information.

For more information, contact me by phone or email.

Patricia Donaher, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
Dept of English
Missouri Western State University