17.855, Jobs: Comp Ling: Software Development Engineer, WA

Tue Mar 21 12:36:44 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-855. Tue Mar 21 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.855, Jobs: Comp Ling: Software Development Engineer, WA

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Mar-2006
From: James Lyle < jlyle at microsoft.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: SDET (Software Development Engineer Test), Microsoft Corporation, WA, USA

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:33:53
From: James Lyle < jlyle at microsoft.com >

University or Organization: Microsoft Corporation
Department: Speech and Natural Language Group
Job Rank: SDET (Software Development Engineer Test)
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

The Speech and Natural Language (SNL) team at Microsoft develops the core
speech and language processing building blocks that are ushering in a new
era of natural computing. Many of these building blocks are already
shipping in Office, Windows, Speech Server and Voice Command. They enable
features like structured search in the MSN Toolbar and improve relevance in
the search results.  MS Office users around the world communicate more
effectively every day using our spellchecking, thesaurus and grammar
checking technology.  SNL is a team that ships cool features known to
millions of users of Office and Windows, but also works on innovative
technologies at the leading edge of human-computer interaction.

The Tools & Content Test Team in SNL is looking for a candidate with a
strong computational linguistics background to help us ensure the highest
level of linguistic quality for the next generation of our Proofing,
Search, and Text Analysis features in many languages. The Tools & Content
Team creates the tools, data, and resources that make it easy to build and
test Natural Language-aware applications.  As a Software Development
Engineer in Test (SDET) in Tools & Content, you will be asked to use
creative ideas in evaluating the quality of natural language features,
create new tools and apply existing ones to solve new problems, and
coordinate with the work of our software developers and program managers.
You will need to be able to monitor the quality of vendor deliverables and
provide expert guidance for them where needed. You will evaluate the
linguistic and geopolitical implications of technical decisions made for
different languages and communicate them to the project team. In short -
you will play a key role in the success of our language expansion strategy
into many new markets.

We are looking for individuals with a strong drive for results, a passion
for shipping quality software on time. We need an experienced SDET
responsible for debugging issues, prioritizing work, coordinating with
other testers, developers and program managers, and leading test projects
to high customer satisfaction.

The ideal candidate will have a strong background in linguistics
(computational linguistics preferred, ideally with knowledge of both text
and speech processing technologies), strong knowledge of coding (C++ or C#
a plus) and debugging skills. Qualifications should include at least 2
years of software development and testing experience. Fluency in or
advanced structural knowledge of one or more languages besides English is
desired.  We are looking for candidates with at least a bachelor's degree
in (Computational) Linguistics, Computer Science or a related technical field.

Interested candidates should submit a resume via email to
jlyle at microsoft.com and a-tamral at microsoft.com.

Address for Applications:

	James Lyle
	Speech & Natural Language Group
	Microsoft Corporation
	One Microsoft Way
	Redmond, WA 98052-6399
	USA

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

	James Lyle
	Email: jlyle at microsoft.com
	Phone: 425-882-8080