18.1223, FYI: PDF Version of Chomsky's Original 1955-56 Thesis

Mon Apr 23 14:47:06 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1223. Mon Apr 23 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1223, FYI: PDF Version of Chomsky's Original 1955-56 Thesis

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Apr-2007
From: Robert Berwick < berwick at csail.mit.edu >

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:45:36
From: Robert Berwick < berwick at csail.mit.edu >

We have retrieved from microfilm the marked-up 1955-1956 copy of Chomsky's
thesis draft, the one he was preparing for publication as ''The Logical
Structure of Linguistic Theory.''  With Chomsky's permission, we first made
a new microfilm copy, since the old one had nearly decayed, and then
scanned each page into a pdf file.   We are making that entire file  freely
downloadable, again, with Chomsky's permission.

The full document contains chapters that were left out of the LSLT
published version, e.g., an information-theoretic method to construct
linguistic categories, that Chomsky developed  in conjunction with Peter Elias.

While it's a large file - 436MB and 919 pages -it's still manageable to
download.

The URL is:

http://alpha-leonis.lids.mit.edu/chomsky/

Best regards, Prof. Bob Berwick