18.1296, Qs: Russian Suffixes; Native French Speakers: 'vous', 'tu'

Mon Apr 30 17:17:11 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1296. Mon Apr 30 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1296, Qs: Russian Suffixes; Native French Speakers: 'vous', 'tu'

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Apr-2007
From: Katharina Gernet < gernet at eth.mpg.de >
Subject: Russian Suffixal Morphemes -shchiki/-niki

2)
Date: 25-Apr-2007
From: Caren Fiorani < cfiorani at indiana.edu >
Subject: Native speaker assistance: French 'vous' and 'tu'

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:12:56
From: Katharina Gernet < gernet at eth.mpg.de >

Dear list members,

I am a cultural anthropologist working with the Evens in Central Kamchatka,
Russian Far East. An issue that is discussed by anthropologists not only in
respect with the Evens from Kamchatka but with a number of other Siberian
indigenous groups is the phenomenon of so-called ''neotraditionalism'',
i.e. - to put it simple - the ''return'' from a life in the village to
''traditional'' forms of subsistence as fishermen, hunters, reindeer
herders etc. in the taiga and tundra for various reasons.

I have heard local Evens in Kamchatka speaking of themselves in Russian as
''traditsionniki'' as well as ''traditsionshchiki''. I wonder what might be
the differing semantic connotations of the suffixes -shchiki/-niki. From
the contextual situation I drew the conclusion that while
''traditsionniki'' seems to be a more neutral term, ''traditsionshchiki''
might have some expressive connotation of irony in it or something of a
distanced view on the issue at hand (indigenous people citing academic
writers about ''neotraditionalism'' with a certain smile or critical attitude).

My question to you is: Can anyone of you give me a hint where to find
information about the possible semantic connotations of the Russian
suffixal morphem -shchiki in contrast to -niki? I would be grateful for any
suggestions.

With kind regards,

Katharina Gernet
Max-Planck-Institut for Social Anthropology
Halle/Saale, Germany

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics