18.2307, All: Fill in the Stubs!: Wikipedia Update Project

Thu Aug 2 18:21:15 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2307. Thu Aug 02 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2307, All: Fill in the Stubs!: Wikipedia Update Project

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 02-Aug-2007
From: Hannah Morales < hannah at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Fill in the Stubs!: Wikipedia Update Project

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:18:41
From: Hannah Morales [hannah at linguistlist.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2307.html&submissionid=152803&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Dear Subscribers,

Thank you for your continued responses to The LINGUIST List calls to update
articles on Wikipedia.  Wikipedia is a popular source of information for
the general public and young students.  The information displayed there
reaches a wide audience (including future linguists!), so it is good to
have the field represented thoroughly and accurately.

In the past 3 weeks, you have collectively:

-Updated sections of "History of the Spanish language":
Dr. Lee Hartman, Carbondale, IL

-Written a new article on Scott Kiesling:
Chad D. Nilep, University of Colorado at Boulder

-Linked more linguists' biographies to the "List of Linguists" and
nominated several more for biographic articles or article expansions.

-Volunteered to monitor a variety of pages on linguistics and language topics.

We are grateful for those who have contributed so far.  You can see these
efforts in the activities log of LINGUIST's Wikipedia Update Project, found
here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Linguistlist

This week we turn your attention to a list of Wikipedia articles that have
been flagged by Wikipedia editors as "stubs."  Stubs are brief articles
that cover the basics of a topic but are in need of more details to be
considered full articles.  Here are 3 lists of stubs in some linguistics
subfields.  You might be surprised at what you find there:

Morphology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linguistic_morphology_stubs

Phonetics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Phonetics_stubs

Syntax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Syntax_stubs

As always, Wikipedia allows anyone to update their pages.  If you see an
article lacking important information, please feel free to click on the
link "Edit this article" at the top of the screen.  After you have typed in
your changes and saved them, the new text will become immediately available
to other online readers.  As you write and edit, please keep in mind
Wikipedia's guidelines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Five_pillars

Contact Hannah Morales at hannah at linguistlist.org to let us know about your
activities.  We would like to announce your contribution to the project!  I
look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Hannah Morales
Editor, Wikipedia Update Project