18.2396, Diss: Lang Acquisition/Syntax: Perez-Tattam: 'Infinitival Subordina...'

Mon Aug 13 15:26:54 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2396. Mon Aug 13 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2396, Diss: Lang Acquisition/Syntax: Perez-Tattam: 'Infinitival Subordina...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Hunter Lockwood <hunter at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Aug-2007
From: Rocio Perez-Tattam < rpere008 at gmail.com >
Subject: Infinitival Subordination in Spanish: A study of Control, Raising and ECM constructions in bilingual and non-native acquisition

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:25:27
From: Rocio Perez-Tattam [rpere008 at gmail.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2396.html&submissionid=153761&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Ottawa
Program: Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2007

Author: Rocio Simone Perez-Tattam

Dissertation Title: Infinitival Subordination in Spanish: A study of Control,
Raising and ECM constructions in bilingual and non-native
acquisition

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): English (eng)
                     Spanish (spa)

Dissertation Director(s):
Juana Muñoz Liceras

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation investigates the acquisition of infinitival clauses by
child bilingual (L1 English/L1 Spanish) and adult non-native (L1 English/L2
Spanish) learners in Control, Raising and ECM configurations as shown in
examples (i)-(iiii).

(i) Juani quiere [PROi ver a María]
	John wants [PROi to see to Mary]
(ii) Juan obligó a Maríai  a [PROi tomar una decisión]
	John forced Maryi [PROi to decide]
(iii) Juani parece [ti estar cansado]
	John seems [ti to be tired]
(iiii) Juan vio a María [regar las plantas] (John saw Mary watering the plants)
	John believes Mary [to be a friend]

The first part of this dissertation deals with the development of
infinitival clauses in natural production data from bilingual children
compared to monolingual (L1 English and L1 Spanish) children [ages
2;03-5;01], and the interaction of the relevant formal properties in
bilingual grammars where Spanish and English do not match.

The second part of this dissertation also deals with interaction regarding
their formal and structural properties where L1 and L2 grammars do not
match. I study the acceptance and comprehension of infinitival clauses in
experimental data from adults learning Spanish in an institutional setting.
I statistically compare them to a control group of adult native speakers in
order to determine the effect of the L1. I also divide the experimental
group into two levels, intermediate and advanced, in order to study the
effect of the level of language proficiency.

The main goal of this dissertation is to provide more insights on
similarities and differences between the bilingual and non-native
acquisition processes, particularly regarding transfer of formal properties
associated with functional categories and projections related to Control,
Raising and ECM constructions (i.e., Tense and the Complementizer system).
Ultimately, this dissertation may contribute to a better understanding of
the nature of bilingual and L2 grammars, and to the discussion regarding
the similarities and differences between L1 and L2 acquisition by looking
at factors that can be studied when more than one grammar is available.