18.2397, Confs: Syntax/India

Mon Aug 13 15:31:46 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2397. Mon Aug 13 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2397, Confs: Syntax/India

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor <jeremy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Aug-2007
From: Tanmoy Bhattacharya < secretary at fosssil.in >
Subject: 2nd Linguistics Spring School in the Indian Mountains

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:30:19
From: Tanmoy Bhattacharya [secretary at fosssil.in]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2397.html&submissionid=153841&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

2nd Linguistics Spring School in the Indian Mountains
Short Title: 2nd LISSIM

Date: 02-Sep-2007 - 13-Sep-2007
Location: Dharmkot, Himachal Pradesh, India
Contact: Tanmoy Bhattacharya
Contact Email: secretary at fosssil.in
Meeting URL: http://www.fosssil.in/

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Meeting Description:

After the success  of the 1st LISSIM, FOSSSIL announces the 2nd LISSIM to take
place in a little village called Dharamkot, 1 km above McLeodganj, the abode of
Dalai Lama, at 2100 meters, overlooking the Dhaula Dhar range of Himalayan
mountains from September 2nd-13th, 2007. Set among pine forests, the Autumn
School venue is ideal for communal living and learning, devoid of the usual
distractions of a city, town or even a touristy hill station.

This is to remind you to confirm your participation in LISSIM

http://www.fosssil.in/lissim_2.htm

organised by FOSSSIL

http://www.fosssil.in/

to be held from Sept. 2-12 at Dharamkot, Himachal Pradesh. We have received 17
confirmations so far from students and faculty members in India; however, we
need to know the final number. In addition to the 5 teachers for the School (see
below), we expect the following to also join as well:
Prof Anoop Mahajan (UCLA)

As many of you may know, the main focus of the 2nd LISSIM is on Interface
issues, especially, the interfaces between Syntax-Morphology and
Syntax-Phonology. Halfway through the School, there will be a workshop on
Control led by Cilene Rodrigues where short papers on the theme will be
presented by students. In addition, we also propose to conduct a day-long
workshop on a Computational Linguistics theme towards the end of the School
where we expect some eminent professionals and academics to deliver special
lectures and present demos.

The regular teachers for the School are as follows:
Prof Tim Stowell (UCLA)
Prof Hilda Koopman (UCLA)
Prof Dominique Sportiche (UCLA)
Prof Halldor Sigurdsson (Lund, Sweden)
Dr. Andrew Nevins (Harvard)

The good news for students is that we may be able to reduce the fees for
them if we succeed in procuring funding assistance from certain government/
private sources we are in the process of applying to. However, we can admit
only a limited number of students for the School, so do get in touch with us
as soon as possible. Also, please advertise the School in your respective
department/ institute for wider participation.

Travel:

You can take a flight to/ from the nearby airport called Gaggal, which is
about 24 Kms from Dharamkot. The airlines that fly are Jagson Airlines and
Air Deccan, the websites are:

http://www.jagsonairline.com/

http://airdeccan.booksecure.net/Criteria.aspx

There is of course bus/taxi+train combination to reach Delhi from D'Shala
but a flight looks the best option, if you have time restrictions. You could
also take the same flight on Saturday to reach Delhi a day early, but it will
depend on your outbound flight from Delhi to LA.

If you'd rather travel by train, the website for Indian Railways is:

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/

 ''Jammu Mail''/ ''Dhauladhar'' seem to be the best connections, taking about 10
hrs, arriving at destination at 7 AM (which is not the end of the journey
though!). The destination could be '' Pathankot'' or ''Chakki Bank''. From here,
you can take either a shared cab (3 hrs) or a smaller (toy) train to a place
near Dharamshala (9 hrs).

Stay in Delhi
If you need to stay in a hotel in Delhi, a good option is:

http://www.jsinn.com/

If you want to stay in a University guest House (JNU/ Delhi), you just have
to let us know now.

Other Details:
Please visit the website on Formal Studies in the Syntax and Semantics of
Indian Languages (FOSSSIL)
http://www.fosssil.in/

If you need any further details, please get in touch.
Tanmoy