18.2478, Confs: Semantics, Sociolinguistics/UK

Thu Aug 23 15:09:41 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2478. Thu Aug 23 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2478, Confs: Semantics, Sociolinguistics/UK

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor <jeremy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Aug-2007
From: Sylvia Jaworska < jaworss1 at aston.ac.uk >
Subject: Women, Power and the Media

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:08:15
From: Sylvia Jaworska [jaworss1 at aston.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2478.html&submissionid=154703&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Women, Power and the Media

Date: 15-Sep-2007 - 16-Sep-2007
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Contact: Pierre Larrivee
Contact Email: p.larrivee at aston.ac.uk

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

The main aim of this conference is to bring together studies assessing the
(a)symmetrical treatment of female political leaders in the media. The intention
is to establish the extent to which gender bias marks political leadership. We
particularly welcome discourse-based studies that may look at the way leaders
are named, discussed and qualified in a monolingual or contrastive perspective.
We invite contributions from discourse analysts, sociolinguists, translation
scholars, and semiologists.

Dear Colleagues,

Please find below details of the forthcoming conference Women, Power and The
Media to be held at Aston University (room MB 118), on the 15th of September
2007. The conference fee is £25 for staff and £15 for students. If you are
interested in attending, please download the registration form from our website at:

http://www.aston.ac.uk/lss/whatsnew/womenpowerandthemedia/registration.jsp

and post or fax it by 10th of September to:

Dr Pierre Larrivée
School of Languages and Social Sciences
Aston University
Birmingham B4 7ET, UK

Fax: +44 (0) 121 204 3766

Conference Programme

10h15-11h15 Registration

11h15-11h30 Welcome word

Session 1, Chair: Mercedes de Grado

11h00-11h30
Jemima Anderson, Grace Bota & Afrakoma hMensa (University of Ghana, Legon),
/Powerful Women in Powerless Language: Media Misrepresentation of African Women
in Politics. The Case of Liberia/

11h30-12h00
Sally Berrisford (The Robert Gordon University), /Women MSPs; A Perception of
their Role, Image and Representation through the Scottish Media./

Lunch

Session 2, Chair: Pamela Moores

13h30-14h00
Joaquin Garrido (Universidad Complutense de Madrid), /Gender in media discourse.
A contrastive analysis of multimodal news on French presidential elections/

14h00-14h30
Gerard O'Grady (Swansea University), /The Unfolded Imagining of Ségolène Royal/

14h30-15h00
Núria Fernández García (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona), /Leader media
construction. Ségolène Royal media treatment analysis in Le Figaro and Libération/

15h00 - 15h20 Coffee / tea break

Session 3, Chair: Angela Kershaw

15h20-15h50
Ekaterina Nossenko Hercberg (Université Paris Descartes), /The 2007 presidential
campaign in France: language, media, and sexual discrimination/

15h50-16h20
Béatrice Fracchiolla (Université de Paris 8, Laboratoire du SYLED -- Université
de Paris 3 & MSH Paris nord), /The debate Royal / Sarkozy/
16h20-16h50
Julian Barnes & Pierre Larrivée (Aston University), /Arlette Laguiller: Does the
mainstay of the French political far-left enjoy linguistic parity with her male
counterparts?/

17h20-18h20 Plenary discussion

For further information, see our website at:
http://www.aston.ac.uk/lss/whatsnew/womenpowerandthemedia/