18.3697, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Research Engineer, Nuance Communications

Tue Dec 11 15:59:40 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3697. Tue Dec 11 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3697, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Research Engineer, Nuance Communications

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Dec-2007
From: Deanna Roe < deanna.roe at nuance.com >
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics: Research Engineer, Nuance Communications, Merelbeke, Belgium

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:57:26
From: Deanna Roe [deanna.roe at nuance.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3697.html&submissionid=163643&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: Merelbeke, Belgium
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com

Job Rank: Research Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

In order to strengthen our Embedded ASR Research team, we are looking for a:

       Research Engineer - Speech Dialogue Systems

As part of our team, you will be creating speech technologies for embedded
applications varying from simple command and control tasks up to natural
language speech dialogues on mobile and automotive platforms.

Overview:
-  You will work in Nuance's Embedded ASR research and production team,
creating technology, tools and runtime software to enable our customers
develop embedded speech applications. In our team of speech and language
experts, you will work on natural language dialogue systems that define the
state of the art.
-  You will work at Nuance's International Headquarters in Merelbeke, a
small town just 5km away from the heart of the picturesque city of Ghent,
in the Flanders region of Belgium. Ghent has one of the most spectacular
historic town centers of Europe and is known for its unique vibrant yet
cozy charm, and is home to a large international university.
-  You will work in an international company and cooperate with people on
various locations including in Europe, America, and Asia.  You may
occasionally be asked to travel.

Responsibilities:
-  You will work on the development of cutting edge natural language
dialogue and speech recognition technologies for automotive embedded
systems and mobile devices.
-  You will design, implement, evaluate, optimize, and test new algorithms
and tools for our speech recognition systems, both for research prototypes
and deployed products, including all aspects of dialogue systems design,
such as architecture, natural language understanding, dialogue modeling,
statistical framework, and so forth.
-  You will help the engine process multi-lingual natural and spontaneous
speech in various noise conditions, given the challenging memory and
processing power constraints of the embedded world.

Qualifications:
-  You have a university degree in computer science, (computational)
linguistics, engineering, mathematics, physics, or a related field. A
graduate degree is an asset.
-  You have strong software and programming skills, especially in C/C++,
ideally for embedded applications. Knowledge of Python or other scripting
languages is a plus.
-  You have experience in one or more of the following fields:
     *dialogue systems
     *applied (computational) linguistics
     *natural language understanding
     *language generation
     *search engines
     *speech recognition
     *grammars and parsing techniques.
     *statistics and machine learning techniques
     *XML processing
-  You are a team player, willing to take initiative and assume
responsibility for your tasks, and are goal-oriented.
-  You can work in a multi-national team and communicate effectively with
people of different cultures.
-  You have a strong desire to make things really work in practice, on
hardware platforms with limited memory and processing power.
-  You are fluent in English and you can write high quality documentation.
-  Knowledge of other languages is a strong asset.

Contact:
Please send your applications, including cover letter, CV, and related
documents (maximum 5MB total for all documents, please) to Deanna Roe.

Email Address for Applications: deanna.roe at nuance.com
Contact Information:
	Deanna Roe
	Email: deanna.roe at nuance.com