18.3732, Jobs: Arabic, Standard & Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, U of Maryland

Thu Dec 13 21:05:22 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3732. Thu Dec 13 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3732, Jobs: Arabic, Standard & Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, U of Maryland

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Dec-2007
From: Laura Glockner < glockner at umd.edu >
Subject: Arabic, Standard & Applied Linguistics: Assistant or Associate Professor in Arabic, University of Maryland, MD, USA

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:04:19
From: Laura Glockner [glockner at umd.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3732.html&submissionid=163902&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Maryland
Department: School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Job Location: Maryland, USA
Web Address: http://www.languages.umd.edu

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)

Subject to the availability of funding, the Arabic Program at the School of
Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (SLLC) at the University of Maryland
seeks applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor or for a tenured
Associate Professor position in Arabic. Specializations may be in either
Language and Literature (Classical or Modern literature) or Language and
Culture, (including, but not limited to, sociolinguistics, applied
linguistics, pragmatics). Candidates will be evaluated on their record of
scholarship and teaching, and interest in language learning. Native or near
native command of Modern Standard Arabic and one major dialect variety of
Arabic, and English are highly desirable. The successful candidate will
join a rapidly expanding Arabic program within the School, and will
contribute to the new Arabic Flagship program.

For best consideration, applicants should specify the specialization and
rank for which they are applying, and submit a letter of application,
including a short description of their current research plans, a CV, and
contact information (only) for three referees, by January 30, 2008. We may
be interviewing at the LSA. Please indicate whether you plan to attend this
conference. The position will be open until filled. Applications should be
submitted to the Arabic Search Committee at the address given below.

The University of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action
employer. Applications from women and Minority candidates are especially
encouraged.

Application Deadline: 30-Jan-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Arabic Search Committee c/o Amy Weinberg
	University of Maryland
	1401 Marie Mount Hall
	College Park, MD 20742
	USA