18.3733, Qs: Syntax of Isolating Languages

Fri Dec 14 14:16:01 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3733. Fri Dec 14 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3733, Qs: Syntax of Isolating Languages

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Dec-2007
From: Rananda Rungnaphawet < aek_rung at yahoo.co.uk >
Subject: Syntax of Isolating Languages

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:15:03
From: Rananda Rungnaphawet [aek_rung at yahoo.co.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3733.html&submissionid=164006&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Is there anyone who could recommend references on the morphosyntax of
isolating languages?

I'm now examining the syntax of adjuncts in Thai, particularly why
clause-internal adjunction isn't possible, and I suspect that this
partially has something to do with its being an isolating language. I've
been trying to find references on languages of this type, especially how
the lack of formal grammatical markings interacts with adjunction
possibilities. Unfortunately, very little was found.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Rananda Rungnaphawet

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Syntax