18.3759, Jobs: Comp Ling: International Project Engineer, Microsoft Corporation

Sun Dec 16 16:26:52 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3759. Sun Dec 16 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3759, Jobs: Comp Ling: International Project Engineer, Microsoft Corporation

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Dec-2007
From: Alfredo Arnaiz < alarnaiz at microsoft.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: International Project Engineer, Microsoft Corporation, WA, USA

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:24:59
From: Alfredo Arnaiz [alarnaiz at microsoft.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3759.html&submissionid=164085&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Microsoft Corporation
Department: Natural Language Group - Office
Job Location: Washington, USA
Web Address: http://www.microsoft.com

Job Rank: International Project Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

The Natural Language Group is part of Microsoft's Office's Assistance and
Worldwide Services (AWS) Division. NLG is responsible for delivering
natural language technology and data resources to product teams. We also
work closely with partner groups such as Word, Global Experience Platform
(GXP), International Proofing Tools (IPT) in Ireland, Business Search
Group, MSR and MSRA and China Technology Group (CTG) in Beijing, as well as
a number of others for specific projects.

Our work is currently organized around the three areas of Writing
Assistance, Query and Text Analysis and Language Scalability:
1. Writing Assistance includes work on Core Proofing and Advanced Proofing
technologies:
a) Core Proofing is focused on the development of spellers, hyphenators,
thesauri, and grammar checkers.
b) Advanced Proofing is focused on the development of new technology that
goes beyond what is currently available in the market today.
2. Query and Text Analysis includes work on Core Search and Advanced Search
technologies:
a) Core Search is focused on the development of word breakers, stemmers and
automatic language detection for many languages.
b) Advanced Search is focused on the extraction of different types of data
from text (e.g. definitions, facts, named entities, noun phrases, etc.)
3. Language Scalability includes work on provision of Processes, Lexical
Data and Tools. Lexical Data is provided as a company-wide resource via our
hosted service, the Microsoft Language Resources Center (MSLRC).

We are looking for a computational linguist to help us to design and build
the next generation of natural language technology and to help us provide
these features to new language markets.

Requirements:
- Detail-oriented, results-driven individual with strong cross-group
collaboration skills.
- Additional native speaker proficiency in one of our core languages(*)
other than English. Strong preference for German.
- Master's degree in Computational Linguistics, Linguistics or
equivalent/related field; PhD-track experience or completed PhD a plus.
Linguistic background is a must.
- Research experience/background in and familiarity with the literature in
the areas listed above
- Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas and innovate
- Strong programming skills including C++/C# experience and multilingual
text processing; experience developing commercial or high-quality research
software a plus

(*) English, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.

Please, search for Job Code 203143.

Web Address for Applications: http://members.microsoft.com/careers/search/default.aspx
Contact Information:
	Alfredo Arnaiz