18.1952, Sum: Outreach Programs in K-12 schools

Fri Jun 29 14:20:29 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1952. Fri Jun 29 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1952, Sum: Outreach Programs in K-12 schools

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Jun-2007
From: Paula Chesley < ches0045 at umn.edu >
Subject: Outreach Programs in K-12 schools

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:18:17
From: Paula Chesley < ches0045 at umn.edu >

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.1908

Hi Linguist List,

A couple of days ago, I posted a query asking if anyone could tell me about
K-12 outreach programs they know of or participate in. Thank you very much
to those who responded! Below is a summary of responses I got.

-- Jim Fitzpatrick noted that Duke and N.C. State run a joint outreach
program. There is a helpful workbook on North Carolina dialects related to
this program available at:

http://www.duke.edu/web/linguistics/curriculum%20student%20workbook.pdf

It appears to be oriented toward junior-high and high-school students.

-- Dick Hudson put me in touch with Kristin Denham and Anne Lobeck, who
work on linguistics in K-12 education. Denham works primarily on elementary
education, while Lobeck works more with secondary schools. Denham has an
excellent article detailing effective, linguistics exercises that can be
done in primary schools. Here is the link to that article:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1749-818X.2007.00017.x

Denham notes that there will be a workshop on linguistics in K-12 education
at Western Washington University this July 18-19.

-- Finally, M. Carmen Parafita Couto at Kenyon College said she would be
interested in initiating an outreach program as well, and that she would be
interested in hearing what others have to share about such programs.

I will keep you informed of what transpires at the University of Minnesota!
The next step is to discuss your responses with the university outreach
coordinator.

Thank you again,
Paula Chesley